A new year has begun which always has me thinking toward the future. Let me start by saying this – I am so glad 2017 is over, and I never want to experience another year like it. Period. That being said, I always feel hopeful and excited for each new year and fresh start that comes my way. While I’m not much of one to come up with New Year’s Resolutions, I do like to work towards certain things each year. In terms of traveling, there are always certain places we hope to go and things to see each year.
To start, I’m so happy to share that I got a new job in the last quarter of 2017! For some time, it seemed I was destined to become unemployed in early 2018, which was impacting some of our travel plans too. This was due to my grant-funded position coming to an end and the economy in my community really struggling. If you’re asking what this has to do with travel, there are two reasons:
1) Woking is one of the things that allows us to travel! And, I’m grateful to work for an employer (now permanently) which provides what I consider to be ample time off.
2) New jobs sometimes mean changes in things like requesting time off work. Although I’m not concerned about this, I still need to figure out how this works in my new position. Also, because I was facing unemployment and/or a potential job change, we also needed to wait and see what was going to happen with this before we could do too much planning.
With these things in mind, I hope to be able to do the following with our 2018 travel year:
1) Return to Europe. We’re pretty open on this, we just really hope we make it back here this year and explore many new places.
2) Potentially travel to Phoenix, Arizona to attend my graduation ceremony. Yes, this year I will receive my Master of Sustainable Tourism degree! It seems like just yesterday I was applying to grad school and now I am coming up on graduation. How did that happen?
3) Celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary with a really big, really special trip We celebrate every anniversary with a trip, but we’re hoping to make this one is really special.
4) I would love to go to either Glacier National Park or a few of the National Parks in Southern Utah. Both of these locations are within about a 10 hour drive of where we live, but we’ve never been to either. We also have some interest in Banff.
5) If we decide to go on a cruise this year, I would really like to try one of Royal Caribbean’s new ships!
As with most years, we are usually pretty open to whatever travel opportunities come our way. And, other than a few trips we have already planned early in the new year, we do not have much on the horizon yet. I like this, because it keeps us open to last minute adventures. Whatever we end up doing, I’m excited and grateful we have the opportunity to get out there!
I’ve also starting thinking about some blog goals for the year. There is so much to learn about and do in the world of blogging! I hope to continue to put out some great destination specific content, grow social media sites, affiliates and more! I plan to continue to network with bloggers and share their great work along the way. If you haven’t followed me yet, be sure to find me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
What are your travel goals and wishes for the new year? Tell us about them in the comments below!
This post is shared on Feet Do Travel’s #FollowMeFriday travel community where bloggers share advice, stories, and pictures!
If you like this post, why not PIN IT for later!